Chicago Landmarks

Milwaukee-Diversey-Kimball District

2769-87 N. Milwaukee Ave., photo by CCL, 2004     Address: Generally at the intersection of N. Milwaukee, W. Diversey, and N. Kimball Aves.
Year Built: 1922 - 1930
Architect: Various
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: February 9, 2005

2767 N. Milwaukee Ave., photo by CCL, 2004 This small district of seven commercial buildings is one of Chicago's best-surviving and most distinctive early twentieth-century, six-corner streetscapes - commercial and transportation nodes that developed at the intersection of three major arterial streets. These buildings housed a variety of chain stores important in the history of Chicago and the United States, including Goldblatt's, F.W. Woolworth, and S.S. Kresge. The buildings within the district were designed using major architectural styles characteristic of Chicago's twentieth-century neighborhood commercial buildings, especially the Classical Revival and Art Deco styles, and several are handsomely detailed with glazed terra cotta, a popular building material in the 1920s.