Chicago Landmarks

Terra Cotta Row District

1059 W. Oakdale, photo by CCL, 2004     Address: Buildings at 1048, 1054, 1057 and 1059 W. Oakdale Ave.; terra-cotta wall at 1040-1042, 1048 and 1059 W. Oakdale Ave.
Year Built: 1887 - 1901
Architect: Various
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: September 14, 2005

Window detail of 1057 W. Oakdale, photo by CCL, 2004 This small district of four residential buildings and an ornamental wall is noteworthy for its association with the Northwestern Terra Cotta Company and its shared use of ornate terra-cotta ornamentation. The buildings and unusual terra-cotta walls were built by Northwestern Terra Cotta Company executives and exemplify changing taste in architectural styles, from Queen Anne to Viennese Modern. Northwestern Terra Cotta was one of three major terra-cotta manufacturing companies located in Chicago in the heyday of architectural terra-cotta manufacture during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The district also exemplifies the company's importance to the Lake View neighborhood, from which were drawn many of the company's employees.