Chicago Landmarks

East Lake Shore Drive District

View of District, 1981, photo by Bob Thall     Address: 140 E. Walton, 179-229 E. Lake Shore Dr., and 999 N. Lake Shore Dr.
Year Built: 1912 - 1929
Architect: Various
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: April 18, 1985

View of District, circa 1915 This dramatic row of eight buildings, designed between 1912 and 1929 by the architectural firms of Marshall & Fox and Fugard & Knapp, epitomizes the city's luxury apartment boom of the early-20th century. The architectural details and ornament are derived from the historical styles of England, France, and Italy. By creating a formal and harmonious streetscape, the designers helped establish the apartment building as an acceptable alternative to large townhouses or suburban estates.