Chicago Landmarks

Hazelton-Mikota House

Hazelton-Mikota House, photo by CCL, 2004     Address: 5453 N. Forest Glen Ave.
Year Built: 1881
Architect: Unknown
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: July 27, 2005

Bay window detail, photo by CCL, 2004 This vernacular carpenter-builder house is one of the oldest-surviving buildings in the Forest Glen neighborhood. It has Queen Anne-style wood details typical of the carpenter guidebooks popular at the time and is remarkably intact. It was built by Captain William Hazelton, an early and noteworthy area farmer, the developer of the original Forest Glen subdivision, and the donor of land for the neighboring Forest Glen Forest Preserve. His home and adjacent horse barn were moved in 1920 across Forest Glen Avenue from Forest Preserve property to their current location.