Chicago Landmarks

McCormick Double House

Rush and Erie Streets elevation, photo by Lisa Napoles     Address: 660 N. Rush St.
Year Built: 1875
Architect: Frederick and Edward Baumann
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: October 6, 2005

Detail, photo by Lisa Napoles This Joliet limestone-clad house was originally built as a double house for Leander James McCormick and his son Robert Hall McCormick, two members of one of Chicago's best-known families. The house is among the city's best and oldest surviving Italianate-style houses with finely-incised pedimented window hoods and an intact pressed-metal cornice.