Chicago Landmarks

35 East Wacker Drive Building

Wacker Dr. elevation     Address: 35 E. Wacker Dr.
Year Built: 1925 - 1927
Architect: Giaver & Dinkelberg
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: February 9, 1994

Terra-cotta detail This 40-story building was the tallest outside of New York City at the time of its construction. Designed as the "Jeweler's Building," it originally housed a parking garage on the second through 22nd floors. The building's terra cotta-clad, classical design marks it as one of the most prominent high-rise statements of the so-called City Beautiful Movement. It is also the most notable work of the partnership of Joachim Giaver and Frederick Dinkelberg, who had spent most of their architectural careers with the firm of D.H. Burnham & Company.