Chicago Landmarks

Clarke House

Restored exterior     Address: 1855 S. Indiana Ave.
Year Built: Circa 1836
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: October 14, 1970

Window detail Exterior, circa 1857 This is one of Chicago's oldest buildings and the best surviving example of the Greek Revival style, which was fashionable in the early 19th century. The original owner was Henry B. Clarke, a wealthy hardware dealer, who died in 1849; thereafter, the building became known as the "Widow Clarke's house." It was moved from its former location in the 4500-block of South Wabash, to its current site in 1977, where it is part of the Prairie Avenue District.

More Information