Address: 1200-08 N. Ashland Ave. / 1600-12 W. Division St. Year Built:
Vitzthum, Karl, and Co.
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark:
February 6, 2008
This neighborhood bank building exemplifies the critical role that banks played in the history and development of Chicago neighborhoods in the late 19th and 20th centuries. Built in the heart of Chicago┐s historic "Polish downtown," this monumental Classical Revival-style building is ornamented with finely-carved low-relief sculpture and has a dramatic banking hall. Vitzthum is a significant architect of several other neighborhood bank buildings in Chicago as well as downtown skyscrapers such as the One North LaSalle and Steuben Club buildings.