Chicago Landmarks

Site of Fort Dearborn

Replica of Ft. Dearborn at 1933-34 World's Fair     Address: Intersection of Michigan Avenue and Wacker Drive
Year Built: 1803 - 1837 demolished 1856
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: September 15, 1971

Engraving of Ft. Dearborn in 1830 Non-native settlement of Chicago remained sparse until after the Louisiana Purchase of 1803, when Fort Dearborn was built on the south side of the Chicago River, across from the cabin of early settler Jean Baptiste Pointe DuSable. The fort, which was named for U.S. Secretary of War Henry Dearborn, served as the country's major western military garrison until August 1812, when it was destroyed following an Indian uprising. A second fort, erected on the same site in 1816, was demolished in 1856.