Chicago Landmarks

Gage Group

Michigan Avenue elevation     Address: 18, 24 and 30 S. Michigan Ave.
Year Built: 1899 - 1900
Architect: Louis H Sullivan , Holabird & Roche
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: September 11, 1996

Detail Louis Sullivan terra-cotta facade This group of three buildings takes its name from the northernmost structure which was designed by master architect Louis Sullivan for the Gage Brothers, a hat wholesaler. The facades, which resulted from Sullivan's collaboration with Holabird & Roche, demonstrate two different approaches to the Chicago School, a design movement that led to the creation of modern commercial architecture. The buildings by Holabird & Roche are straightforward, while the facade designed by Sullivan (18 S.) exemplifies his more expressive approach.