Chicago Landmarks

Schlitz Brewery-Tied House (Former) at 958 W. 69th St.

(Former) Schiltz Brewery-Tied House at 958 W. 69th St.     Address: 958 W. 69th St.
Year Built: 1898 - 1899
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: July 6, 2011

Schiltz Belted Globe Insignia Front Elevation

From the 1890s up to Prohibition, brewing companies built and operated their own taverns, or "tied-houses," throughout Chicago's neighborhoods. This Queen Anne-style tied house in the Englewood neighborhood was built in 1898 and originally catered to the immigrant residents of the neighborhood who worked for large industrial employers nearby, including the Union Stockyards, the center of the nation's meat packing industry. The limestone-clad tavern building features a chamfered corner with a steeply-pitched gable framing a terra-cotta Schlitz globe, a projecting window bay, and arched entrance. The building was one of fifty-seven tied houses commissioned by Edward Uihlein, the manager of Schlitz Brewery's operations in Chicago.