Address: 1100 E. Hyde Park Blvd. Year Built:
Alfred S. Alschuler
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark:
June 9, 1977
This building, based on Byzantine-style design precedents, houses the oldest Jewish congregation in Chicago. The first Jewish settlers in the city organized Kehilath Anshe Maariv in 1847; Isaiah Israel had its roots in the city's second Jewish congregation, which was founded in 1852. In 1971, the two merged to form K.A.M. Isaiah Israel Temple.