Chicago Landmarks

Kaufmann Store and Flats

Front Elevation, photo by Bob Thall     Address: 2312-14 N. Lincoln Ave.
Year Built: South half, 1883; North half, 1887
Architect: Adler & Sullivan
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: April 16, 1996

Store Entrance, photo by Bob Thall This is one of the oldest surviving buildings designed by Adler & Sullivan, an architectural partnership that helped transform modern architecture. The building perfectly illustrates the innovative qualities of design and ornamentation that became the basis for further artistic development in such renowned structures as the Auditorium Building and the Carson Pirie Scott department store. Especially notable is the degree to which the distinguishing features of the Kaufmann building survive, especially its storefront detailing.