Chicago Landmarks

Lathrop House

Street Elevation, 1972, photo by Barbara Crane     Address: 120 E. Bellevue Pl.
Year Built: 1892
Architect: McKim, Mead & White
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: May 9, 1973

Entrance Hall, photo by Barbara Crane Drawing inspiration from the neo-classical styles of the 18th century, architect Charles Follen McKim here created a residence of great dignity and elegance. The clarity and simplicity of its facade make this one of the finest examples of Georgian Revival architecture, a type of Colonial Revival, in this country, and a rare Chicago example of the work of this famed New York City architectural firm. It was built by realtor and civic leader Bryan Lathrop. In 1922, it became the headquarters for the Fortnightly, a women's organization.