Chicago Landmarks

Madlener House

Burton Pl. and State Pkwy. elevations     Address: 4 W. Burton Pl.
Year Built: 1902
Architect: Schmidt & Garden
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: March 22, 1973

Burton Pl. elevation Entry This residence, which was built for liquor wholesaler Albert F. and Elsa S. Madlener, represents a high point in the history of Chicago architecture, combining elements of both the Chicago and Prairie schools of design. It has the massing, logic, and dignity of a Renaissance Revival-style palace, yet the details and strong horizontal emphasis are thoroughly modern in design. The incised ornament around the entrance is reminiscent of the designs of Louis Sullivan. The building was purchased in 1963 by the Graham Foundation for Advanced Studies in the Fine Arts, an educational institution.