Chicago Landmarks

McGraw-Hill Building

Street Elevations, photo by Bob Thall     Address: 520 N. Michigan Ave.
Year Built: 1928 - 1929
Architect: Thielbard & Fugard
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: February 7, 1997

Window Detail, photo by Bob Thall One of the city's finest collaborations of sculpture and architecture, this is a rare surviving example of the high-quality of buildings that were constructed along North Michigan Avenue from 1918-1930, a period when the street first established its character as a prestigious retail address. An example of Art Deco architecture, the building design incorporates classical style with modern linear qualities. Particularly distinctive are its rich and innovative sculptures by Gwen Lux, a major 20th-century sculptor and one of the few women in the field. The building's architects were known for their high-quality designs, including apartments in the East Lake Shore Drive District. This building was constructed by the McGraw-Hill Publishing Company, whose Midwestern headquarters served as the original anchor tenant.