Chicago Landmarks

Museum of Science and Industry

View Looking Northeast, photo by Bob Thall     Address: 57th St. at Lake Shore Drive
Year Built: 1891 - 1893 reconstructed 1929-30; interior renovation 1930-41
Architect: Charles Atwood Graham, Anderson, Probst & White , Shaw, Naess & Murphy
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: November 1, 1995

Side Elevation, photo by Bob Thall Originally built as the Palace of Fine Arts for the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893, this structure later became the first home of the Field Museum of Natural History. After the museum moved out, the plaster-clad building was reconstructed (1929-33) in stone for the Museum of Science and Industry. Although its exterior is an exact copy of the original Beaux-Arts style Classical Revival design, its interior was remodeled in the Art Moderne style, under the direction of architect Alfred Shaw.

More Information