Chicago Landmarks

Noble-Seymour-Crippen House

South wing and large addition, photo by Bob Thall     Address: 5624 N. Newark Ave.
Year Built: 1833; Addition, 1863
Architect: Unknown
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: May 11, 1988

View, circa 1907, courtesy of Norwood Park Historical Society This structure documents the evolution of Norwood Park, from an independent farm community to a residential neighborhood of Chicago. The small south wing, which is believed to be the city's oldest surviving building, had its origins as the home of Mark Noble, one of the area's first European settlers. An Italianate-style addition and other alterations were made by Thomas Seymour, the principal developer of Norwood Park, who lived there from 1868 to 1915. Later modifications were made by the Stuart Crippen family.

More Information