Chicago Landmarks

Quinn Chapel

Wabash Ave. elevation     Address: 2401 S. Wabash Ave.
Year Built: 1892
Architect: Henry F. Starbuck
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: August 13, 1977

24th St. elevation This church houses Chicago's oldest African-American congregation, which traces its origins back to 1844, when seven individuals formed a nondenominational prayer group that met in the house of one of its members. In 1847, the group organized as a congregation of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Named for Bishop William P. Quinn, the church played an important role in the city's abolitionist movement. After the Chicago Fire of 1871 destroyed the original church, the congregation met for many years in temporary locations. The congregation purchased the present site in 1890, and the current church is a reminder of the late-19th century character of the area.