Chicago Landmarks

Roloson Houses

Houses after rehabilitation, photo by Bob Thall, 1987     Address: 3213-19 S. Calumet Ave.
Year Built: 1894
Architect: Frank Lloyd Wright
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: December 27, 1979

Partial First Floor Plan These are the only rowhouses designed by Wright that were actually built. The facades display the steeply pitched gables and rectangular bands of windows characteristic of the English Tudor Revival style. Sullivanesque terra-cotta ornament embellishes the spandrel between the second and third floors. The four rowhouses were built as investment property by Robert W. Roloson, a successful grain merchant. The architectural commission was among the earliest received by Wright after leaving the firm of Adler & Sullivan, and the design shows many of his early influences.