Chicago Landmarks

Schurz High School

Main Elevation, 1980, photo by Stephen Beal     Address: 3601 N. Milwaukee Ave.
Year Built: 1910
Architect: Dwight H. Perkins
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: December 7, 1979

Wall Detail, 1997, photo by Bob Thall The siting of this structure on an eight-acre tract of land, as well as its forceful brick facade, make it the acknowledged masterpiece of architect Dwight Perkins, who designed several school buildings while architect for the Chicago Board of Education (1905-10). Schurz High School also represents a significant amalgamation of two important architectural styles. The strong vertical piers are characteristic of the Chicago School, while the overhanging roof, detailed brickwork, and strong geometric forms are elements identified with Prairie School architecture. A recent (1995) award-winning exterior rehabilitation and cleaning has restored the building's clay tile roof and revealed its original two-color brick scheme. The school is named in honor of the German-born American journalist and political leader, Carl Schurz. (The studio of Perkins' architecture firm, at 814 N. Michigan Ave., is also a designated Chicago Landmark.)