Chicago Landmarks

Trustees System Service Building

Overall. Photo by Terry Tatum, CCL, 2003     Address: 201 N. Wells St.
Year Built: 1929 - 1930
Architect: Edgar Miller Eugene and Gwen Lux , Thielbard & Fugard
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: January 14, 2004

Sculptural detail. Photo by Terry Tatum, CCL, 2003 One of downtown Chicago's most distinctive "Jazz Age" skyscrapers, this building is handsomely clad with variegated brick that lightens from deep red to lighter yellow-red from base to crown. The building's distinctive stepped-back top with terra-cotta crown reflects the influence of the 1923 Chicago zoning ordinance. The building is embellished with a variety of art works, including low-relief limestone sculpures by husband-and-wife artists Eugene and Gwen Lux that depict allegorical scenes in the history of banking and commerce. In addition, artist Edgar Miller designed the cut-lead decorative screen ornamenting one of the building's entrances on Lake St. The building's public lobbies are richly ornamented with deeply-colored marbles.