Chicago Landmarks

Farwell Building

Farwell Building, photo by CCL, 2003     Address: 664 North Michigan Avenue
Year Built: 1927
Architect: Philip B. Maher
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: March 10, 2004

Mansard roof (detail), photo by CCL, 2003 The Farwell Building is one of North Michigan Avenue's significant survivors from its first period of development when the avenue gained the title the "Magnificent Mile." Designed in a French-inspired mode with Classical and Art Deco detailing, this limestone-clad building features a distinctive mansard roof, finely-carved limestone details, and wrought-iron balconies. Its elegant detailing includes swags, medallions, and distinctively-designed storefronts. The Farwell Building was designed for Arthur Farwell, a prominent business owner in the area. Farwell was committed to developing a distinguished building that would set the standard for development on North Michigan Avenue, and commissioned University of Michigan-educated architect Philip B. Maher to execute the project. Maher had a command of a wide variety of architectural styles and designed several buildings on the "Magnificent Mile," including the Woman's Athletic Club in 1928.