Chicago Landmarks

R. R. Donnelley & Sons Co. Calumet Plant

Overall. Photo by Terry Tatum, CCL, 2003     Address: 350 East Cermak Rd.
Year Built: 1912 1925 (North and East-Central Sections); 1929 (West-Central and South Sections, Tower)
Architect: Howard Van Doren Shaw
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: March 31, 2004

Entrance detail. Photo by Terry Tatum, CCL, 2003 One of Chicago's finest industrial buildings, the R. R. Donnelley & Sons Co. Calumet Plant was built for one of the City's leading printing houses. It was built in stages to the design of noted architect Howard Van Doren Shaw, best known for his handsome period-style houses in both Chicago and its suburbs. The Calumet Plant has finely crafted detailing in stone and metal that depict symbols from the history of printing. The building's prominent corner tower was designed by Philadelphia architect Charles Z. Klauder, a nationally recognized expert on the Gothic Revival style, after the death of Shaw. The building is now known as the Lakeside Technology Center.